SaaS Management Platform
Product Type: SaaS Management Platform
Scope: Initial concept, pitch design, development hand-off
End Users: KPMG legal clients, KPMG Legal Team
Discovery, Defining Problem, Designing, Delivery
Discovery & User Research Method
Contextual inquiry and moderated interviews with 8 legal team participants to capture both qualitative and quantitative data. User responses were analyzed using affinity mapping to determine the features needed by users and their priority.
User Pain Points
- The KPMG Legal Team spent a lot of hours directly providing their clients with information on their legal services spending over the phone. This reduced the Team’s productivity.
- The KPMG Legal Team also needed a way to reduce department spending without reducing client services or personnel.
- The KPMG Legal Team had access to 3rd party Saas products with automated services that they wanted clients to be able to use, but had no way to incentivize clients to adopt them.
User Needs & the User Journey Map
Based on user feedback, the majority of KPMG legal team members needed:
- Their clients to be able to keep track of their own legal costs for KPMG services, the progress of their legal matters, and alternative spending options available to them within the firm.
- A way for clients to access this information to increase client self-service, to improve team workflow efficiency.
- A way to automate client legal matters management using 3rd-party SaaS products to increase team workflow efficiency.
- A way to market 3rd-party SaaS products to their clients that would incentivize end-user adoption.
- Challenge: Using AI technology to incentivize their adoption of automated legal services products instead of relying on direct interaction with the Legal Team.
Defining the Problem
I led Product Team workshops to analyze the affinity mapping, frame the problem, and define metrics.
Designing Wireframes, Mockups and Prototype
- I designed wireframes based on the user journey map and existing team UI patterns.
- I reviewed wireframes with the Design Team.
- I created high-resolution mockups and an interactive prototype for the pitch design.
- I refined the design based on user feedback from design validation research.
- Industry research into how AI and Machine Learning were being used to create business value for legal clients and professionals.
- I conducted my own research into the most common features among business data insights products and legal management products most commonly used by business and industry professionals.
- I used dashboard design best practices to simplify data browsing and navigation.
- I designed a Client Summary Dashboard featuring priority KPI’s and data visualizations for clients to better analyze their legal matter fees and maximize spending performance.
- I incentivized clients to adopt 3rd party SaaS products by designing AI-driven recommendations based on existing customer data to demonstrate the business value of these tools for cost-savings.
- I incentivized clients to adopt these automated services by designing a product landing page that marketed them and connected to the product dashboard login page.
- I further incentivized clients to adopt these automated services by designing Client Summary Dashboard widgets that demonstrated the performance of these SaaS products and their impact over time.
- I designed a Detail Dashboard for individual 3rd-party services that clients could drilldown into from the Summary Dashboard, to manage all legal services in one location and increase incentive.
- I designed a Legal Team Dashboard that allowed professionals to gain time-saving insights into which customers were most business-valuable, which legal matters to focus on, and to monitor client end-user adoption of automated services.
The pitch design won full support from the legal team. Additional design validation research revealed that 100% of the 3 legal team users interviewed believed this product would meet their client needs and relieve their pain points. The product specs were handed off to the Development Team for production.